Monday, November 08, 2004

Howard Keel

I got some sad news on Sunday night. Howard Keel died on Sunday morning from colon cancer.

It was surprisngly fitting because my roommate and I had just watched four, yes four, Howard Keel movies in the past few days. It started with Three Guys Named Mike as yet another Van Johnson movie for me to check off. But I honestly very much enjoyed the film and felt that Marcie should have gone with the Mike Keel played instead of Johnson. But Keel wasn't a big enough star yet, so the girl went to Johnson.

Young and handsome Howard Keel
Howard Keel when he was young and handsome!
Then we enjoyed -- well, enjoyed may be a bit too strong of a word -- watched Kismet. Uh, not so memorable. (Although once I finish up watching it, I will write a brief review.)

Then it was on to an incredibly cheesy late '60s western -- The War Wagon. Keel plays an Indian in this one -- although I have to say that after reading the blurb in the Leonard Maltin guide, I felt a little cheated. They said that Keel was hilarious as the Indian, but I didn't laugh too hard. But it was a fun movie!

Sunday morning TCM was showing Kiss Me Kate, a musical that is definitely better onstage. But Keel is great, despite the bad facial hair that he always seemed to sport in MGM musicals.

My roommate and I were discussing which actor was more well-known to the layperson: Van Johnson or Howard Keel. Unfortunately, the answer may be that neither is that well known. But Keel did have one very memorable TV role in his late 60s that you may recall -- Dallas.

So Keel was not only an actor, but he also sang a lot. And made some records, as the one below is evident. So let's not forget Howard Keel -- we can keep on singing about those sobbin' women.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

FILE UNDER: News and Notes ; Van Johnson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home