Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Hearts of the West

Despite the fact that I saw Hearts of the West on Turner Classic Movies, I would probably categorize it as a modern film. Well, maybe. It's from 1975 so it's kind of on the edge of "classic film" and not-so-classic film. I think modern films can be classic, but only if they demonstrate a timelessness that will allow them to be watched fifty or sixty years from now and understood and enjoyed. Well, that was quite a ramble, so let's get into the film.

Cavaet: I was working on something else when I was watching(-ish) this film, so the plot is a little fuzzy to me. But I have to say, I found this movie entertaining mostly for its time period and actors, so the plot was a little less relevant. But it was still good, just that I don't remember everything that happened. I also did not take notes, as I try to do during V-Jo movies.

Hearts of the West stars a young, young Jeff Bridges as Lewis Tater, a young man trying to write Western novels. He comes out to Hollywood and ends up working as a cowboy in a serial film. Lewis meets Howard Pike (Andy Griffith), another "cowboy," who ends up giving him career advice. The career advice includes reading Lewis's Western novel and then stealing it and submitting it to a publisher. Despite the conflicts, Lewis ends up with the girl (Blythe Danner) and the film ends with him leaving in an ambulence. (Seriously, I don't know why, but it looked cool. Perhaps I will watch this one again.)

My favorite part of Hearts of the West was the Western film-making atmosphere. It reminded me of one of my favorite books -- Miranda Goes to Hollywood: Adventures in the Land of Palm Trees, Cowboys, and Moving Pictures by Jane Kendall. The book is all about the adventures of a young girl in Hollywood (it's a sequel to Miranda and the Movies, a truly beautiful book with a fun story about early movie-making) and mostly about her adventures as a cowgirl. (Eventually, I'll write up a review of both books for this blog -- they're not books about movies per se, but they're close enough for my standards.) I really enjoy movies about movies, especially if they are well done and entertaining. And movies about old film-making are awesome.

FILE UNDER: Modern Films

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home