Sunday, August 08, 2004

Paris - When it Sizzles

Or should that be Paris - When It Fizzles?

Actually, I really enjoyed Paris - When It Sizzles, but only because it was so bad it was good. The premise of the film is that Richard Benson (played by William Holden) needs to write a movie script for his producer in two days. So stenographer Gabrielle Simpson (Audrey Hepburn) is sent over to his apartment to take down the immortal words of Richard.

The film is a movie within a movie, and is helped a lot by a cameo by Tony Curtis as Phillipe, the second policeman. Richard and Gabby both act out the film they are writing, as well as interacting while writing the film. The film they are writing has an awesome title -- The Girl Who Stole the Eiffel Tower. My favorite part is when Gabby envisions Richard's character as Dracula -- seeing Holden in fangs and lit with oddly colored lights just made me laugh so hard.

Had I seen the film before buying it, I probably wouldn't have bought it -- cheap price or not. But I am a fan of Audrey Hepburn and I really like William Holden. It's entertaining enough, and definitely has the same feel as many of Hepburn's other '60s films -- a hint of Charade and How to Steal a Million. It's silly, and sometimes that's enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home